Thanks for joining me at “A Writer’s Playground.” I love playing with words. I decided to share another thing I like to play around with–simply decorating. I enjoy taking common, simple things and finding other uses for them. This is where I’ll share a few of my ideas. Please leave your comments and ideas here.
Have fun simply decorating.
- Anyone on a tight budget and looking to create vases for outdoor Fall events? See one of my creations here. Start with a plastic gallon jug. Cut a wide opening, leaving the handle. Arrange with fall leaves and flowers. Attach holiday cutouts from Dollar Tree or other favorite locations. Duct tape works fairly well. Have fun!
2. One year, paper lanterns hung from a tree. Very appropriate. This year they’re taking a rest. See! Think of ways you can change up what you own.
- Looking for a way to display seasonal items throughout the year? Some families decorate small trees with ornaments that change with the holidays. We have an area in our home where we display birthday banners. Why not use this spot for other special occasions, I thought. Since our dining and living areas include a Japanese accent, I asked my husband if he’d string short pieces of bamboo onto fishing line. The finished product drapes similar to a strand of pearls. I will share other uses for the strand throughout the year. Here, it displays Christmas cards draped over the bamboo or hung with tree hooks.
2. I love old mirrors. I decided to use one as a table display area this Christmas. Add greenery or keep it simple. Up to you.
3. Sometimes we are given decorations or gifts and a theme starts to develop. This background art, from years ago, was created by one of our children. Choose a way to display treasures you keep.
Merry Christmas, one and all!
4. I made changes to my Christmas garland in 2016: from plain boxwood to garland strung with lights and rustic country decorations including cotton and stars made of twigs.