A Writer’s Playground–a place to find wordplay, writing prompts, reasons to celebrate, and monthly calendar activities for kids and those young at heart “Nothing Says Joy in the Morning Like…” by Linda Martin Andersen
Personal grief hit me hard in June. It left me too sad to do some things I enjoy, such as making small home decorating changes. Fortunately, my creativity is returning. This brings me great joy!
Yesterday, I decided to replace the coffee station in my kitchen. I purchased a bamboo napkin holder and serving tray to hold my coffee maker and condiments. This simple decorating change filled me with joy. Now as I pour myself a cup of coffee, I’m reminded to start my day with joy. I was also reminded of two Folgers’ coffee jingles: “Nothing says morning like Folgers in your cup. ” Also: “The best part of waking up in Folgers in your cup.”
These jingles influenced my writing and this blog title. Writing and word play bring me joy. Choosing to change my coffee station brought me two joys: creative decorating and writing.
What caused this positive change? Time for a moment of truth…I added too much water to my coffee pot which caused it to boil over and ruin my tray. Cause and effect. That’s one accident I’m glad happened. 😉 It started positive wheels turning.
These jingles influenced my writing. Can you recognize their influence in my blog title? Writing and word play bring me joy.
What brings you joy in the morning and throughout the day?
1. Look around your bedroom and locate things that bring you joy. Write or tell about them.
2. Look for things that bring you joy on your ride to school. Write or tell about them.
3. Begin a Joy Journal. Record things that bring you joy throughout the day.
4. Write an acronym for JOY. Here is a site for word suggestions: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/phonetic/y.shtml
Example of an acronym for JOY: J–Jump O–orbit Y–yell
5. Write a phrase acronym for JOY. Example: J–Jump O–over Y–yokes (burdens). Discuss the meaning of this phrase with an adult.
6. Do you know someone named Joy? Tell ways this person brings joy to the world. Example: Joy Acey: http://poetryforkidsjoy.blogspot.com/2016/09/sharks-and-minnows.html
7. Do you know a song about Joy? Change some of the lyrics to include things that bring you joy.
8. Complete this writing prompt: Nothing says joy in the morning like…
9. Here are two Folgers’ coffee jingles: “Nothing says morning like Folgers in your cup. ” Also: “The best part of waking up in Folgers in your cup.” Use these jingles as writing prompts to create your own personal jingle or slogan.
10. What is your definition of joy? Expand your definition with personal examples.
Thank you for visiting “A Writer’s Playground.” Come again soon and bring a friend. Please leave a comment. Remember that children 13 and under need an adult to comment for them. For more fun, sign up to follow my blog. Thank you!