Where Are You Hanging Out This Summer?
Posted by lindamartinandersen on June 25, 2015
Are you hanging out by the pool, the beach, with friends, at the mall, etc.?
For more definitions of “hanging out,” check here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hanging+out
Windsocks are often hanging out…
A windsock can be a decorative yard ornament.
OR windsocks can serve as a device that shows the direction and strength of the wind at airfields.
This morning, I observed one of Nature’s Windsocks
I saw an elm leaf suspended in the air and twirling in the breeze–one of nature’s windsocks. I approached for a closer look. The leaf hung from a spider’s thread. The leaf was a hitch-hiker going for a free ride. It was hanging out in the air. Cool, huh?
Looking for a little summer science study?
- Why do spiders dangle a leaf from their webs or does the wind blow them there? At the Physics Forums site listed below, leaves like these are called Christmas ornaments or toys. Reference:
Looking for a summer craft activity?
- Would you like to make a windsock craft? See here: http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/windsock-craft/
Looking for a summer writing prompt?
- Write about a leaf caught in a spider’s thread and show how the leaf might explain his behavior. What will leaf’s response be if Mother Leaf asks:
- It’s about time you showed up. Where have you been? I’ve been worried sick about you.
- Did you get lost?
- Did you follow the flight plan we talked about?
- Did you tell your brother and sisters goodbye or just float on away?
- Did you remember to dry yourself after the rain shower last night?
- What are some silly responses leaf could give? For example, I was just hanging out/around.
- What other plants/trees can show the direction of the wind and its strength, like a windsock? Write a story about one of them.
Share something you wrote based on this post or an experience you had with one of nature’s windsocks.
Thanks for visiting. Come again soon and bring a friend. Comments are appreciated. If you’re under 13 years old, please ask a trusted adult to post for you.